iPAD Rwanda Forum to provide investment platform for Africa?s next best business opportunity
"I want to invite investors to tap into Rwanda?s vast potential"
August 18, 2014 --
The event is taking place from 3-4 November in Kigali and enjoys the official support of the Rwandan government, the Rwanda Development Board and the country?s electricity utility, the Rwanda Energy Group (REG) is the host utility of the event.
The iPAD Rwanda Forum will gather investors, project developers, finance houses, construction and planning companies, technology providers from Rwanda, the region and from the rest of the world as well as high-level government representatives. "Now is the time to invest in Rwanda," says Emmanuelle Nicholls: "and the forum will play an important role in the transformation of Rwanda into a dynamic global hub for business, investment and innovation."
Energy sector reforms
The Rwandan government recently announced that as part of its reform of the energy and water sectors, the former national utility, the Energy, Water and Sanitation Authority (EWSA Ltd), had been split into two separate companies, namely Rwanda Energy Group Limited (REG Ltd) and Water & Sanitation Corporation Ltd (WASAC Ltd). The utility said that the government was committed "to accelerate economic growth and improve social welfare. Infrastructure is one of the key pillars, where energy and water utilities play a critical role."
"I want to invite investors to tap into Rwanda?s vast potential", says iPAD Rwanda Forum?s Emmanuelle Nicholls," the country is looking to greatly develop its power and infrastructure sectors. The government?s Vision 2020 aims at growth through private investment and stipulates a politically stable environment with well-functioning institutions, rule of law and zero tolerance for corruption."
Some more key facts about Rwanda?s economy and infrastructure:
- Total installed generation capacity of 110 MW, with 16% connectivity rate; it is set to increase by 70% by 2017; Generation capacity to reach 563 MW.
- According to a survey conducted by the Ministry of Infrastructure, the country needs to invest an estimate of US$3 billion to increase access to electricity from 16% to 70% by 2017.
- Fastest growing economy in East African Community (EAC).
- Part of the Great Lakes Initiative.
- Government has set key incentives for investors to develop the country?s energy sector.
- Most competitive place to do business in East Africa and 3rd in Africa (Global Competitive Index Report 2013-2014).
- Rwanda is within the East Africa Rift Valley?s Ring of Fire, indicating strong geothermal potential.
- Lake Kivu has the potential to provide 700MW per annum over 55 years (50% for Rwanda).
- The Peat Master Plan indicates 155 million tons of dry peat reserve
- The country?s GDP has doubled since 2005 and is expected to achieve 11.5% annual average growth over the next three years.
Topic and speaker highlights from the iPAD Rwanda Forum:
* Rwanda is open for business
- Francis Gatare, Chief Executive Officer, Rwanda Development Board (RDB), Rwanda
* The PPA: Fundamentals for structuring a successful power deal in Rwanda
- Stephen Byaruhanga, Head of Risk Management, Eskom Uganda Limited, Uganda
* Innovative support mechanism for private sector investment in hydro power
- Anna Zinecker, Advisor Energising Development Rwanda, German International Cooperation (GIZ), Rwanda
* Fast tracking business ventures; identifying local partners
- Ivan Twagirashema, Chairman, Energy Private Developers, Rwanda
* The current status and new generation ventures
- Robert Nyamvumba, Managing Director, Energy Development Company Ltd, Rwanda
* The Electricity Access Roll out Program (EARP): Status and requirements
- Director of Electricity Access Roll out Programs, Rwanda Energy Group, Rwanda
* Capacity developments ? The importance of skill transfer
- Benoît Piret, Programme officer, BTC - Belgian Development Agency, Rwanda
* The City of Kigali ? East Africa?s next economic hub
- Senior representative, City of Kigali, Rwanda
There is already enormous interest with global engineering giant STEG International Services having confirmed its platinum sponsorship of the event. SMA Solar Technology and Clarke Energy are also early confirmed sponsors.
The event is organised by Spintelligent, leading Cape Town-based trade exhibition and conference organiser, and the African office of Clarion Events Ltd, based in the UK.
iPAD Rwanda Forum dates and venue:
Conference: 3-4 November 2014
Venue: Serena Hotel, Kigali
Event website: http://www.ipad-rwanda.com
Communications manager: Annemarie Roodbol
Telephone: +27 21 700 3558
Mobile: +27 82 562 7844