MediaTek Launches LinkIt(TM) Platform For Wearables and Internet of Things
Enabling the Global Developer Community to Create Small Sized, Affordable Wearable and IoT Devices
June 03, 2014 --
HSINCHU, June 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- MediaTek today announced LinkIt, a development platform built to accelerate the wearable and Internet of Things (IoT) markets. LinkIt integrates the MediaTek's Aster System on Chip (SoC), the smallest wearable SoC currently on the market. The MediaTek Aster SoC is designed to enable the developer community to create a broad range of affordable wearable and IoT products and solutions, for the billions of consumers in the rising Super-mid market to realize their potential as Everyday Geniuses.
Key features of MediaTek Aster and LinkIt:
- MediaTek Aster, the smallest SoC in a package size of 5.4x6.2mm specifically designed for wearable devices.
- LinkIt integrates the MediaTek's Aster SoC and is a developer platform supported by reference designs that enable creation of various form factors, functionalities, and internet connected services.
- Synergies between microprocessor unit and communication modules, facilitating development and saving time in new device creation.
- Modularity in software architecture provides developers with high degree of flexibility.
- Supports over-the-air (OTA) updates for apps, algorithms and drivers which enable "push and install" software stack (named MediaTek Capsule) from phones or computers to devices built with MediaTek Aster.
- Plug-in software development kit (SDK) for Arduino and VisualStudio. Support for Eclipse is planned for Q4 this year.
- Hardware Development Kit (HDK) based on LinkIt board by third party.
"MediaTek is now in a unique position to assume leadership by accelerating development for wearables and IoT, thanks to our LinkIt platform," said J.C. Hsu, General Manager of New Business Development at MediaTek. "We are enabling an ecosystem of device makers, application developers and service providers to create innovations and new solutions for the Super-mid market."
Eric Li, President of Baidu, China's Internet giant said, "Baidu provides a wealth of services for its users on our Internet portal, and our offerings will enable MediaTek-powered devices to do much more than they already can. The IoT is inter-connecting devices, and we're connecting people with information via such devices. Our partnership with MediaTek will bring both of us closer to our respective goals."
Gonzague de Vallois, Senior Vice President of Gameloft, another one of MediaTek's ecosystem partners, said, "The wearable devices era is a fascinating one for a game developer. Proliferation of devices equipped with all sorts of different sensors and measured information from human body are creating possibilities for us to develop games that are played differently and in ways that were never imagined before. We are pleased to be a partner of MediaTek, who is enabling the wearable devices future for us to continuously bring innovative games to gamers around the world."
The launch of LinkIt is a part of MediaTek's wider initiative for the developer community called MediaTek Labs which will officially launch later this year. MediaTek Labs will stimulate and support the creation of wearable devices and IoT applications based on the LinkIt platform. Developers and device makers who are interested in joining the MediaTek Labs program are invited to email email@example.com to receive a notification once the program launches. For more information and ongoing updates, please go to http://labs.mediatek.com.
About MediaTek Inc.
MediaTek is a pioneering fabless semiconductor company, and a market leader in cutting-edge systems on a chip for wireless communications and connectivity, HDTV, DVD and Blu-ray. MediaTek created the world's first octa-core smartphone platform with LTE and our CorePilot technology releasing the full power of multi-core mobile processors. Through MediaTek Labs, the company is creating a worldwide ecosystem in support of device creation, application development and services based around MediaTek offerings. With an emphasis on enabling technology for the masses and not the chosen, everyone can be an Everyday Genius. MediaTek [TSE:2454] is headquartered in Taiwan and has offices worldwide. Please visit www.mediatek.com for more information.
SOURCE MediaTek Inc.
Copyright 2014 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved