Page (1) of 1 - 04/03/14
Harmonic Brings Cutting-Edge Ultra HD HEVC Solutions to the 2014 NAB Show
Harmonic Will Demonstrate the World's First End-to-End HEVC Solution for Delivering Live 2160p60 10-bit Ultra HD Content
April 03, 2014 --
At booth SU1210 at the 2014 NAB Show, Harmonic (NASDAQ: HLIT), the worldwide leader in video delivery infrastructure, will demonstrate the world's first end-to-end HEVC solution for delivering live 2160p60 10-bit Ultra HD content. In collaboration with companies including Broadcom Corporation, Sigma Designs, Vigor Systems, and ViXS, the Harmonic broadcast workflow supports the delivery of live, linear playout, and VOD Ultra HD content to consumer-grade TVs and set-top boxes (STBs).
"Harmonic is making Ultra HD a reality by offering the broadcast community an end-to-end solution for UHDTV content preparation and delivery," said Thierry Fautier, vice president, solutions and strategy at Harmonic. "At NAB, Harmonic will demonstrate how broadcasters can use our integrated video compression, storage, and delivery solutions to deliver 2160p60 10-bit content based on current joint EBU/DVB/SMPTE recommendations using consumer-grade technologies for decoding, connectivity, and display on Ultra HD TV sets."
- The first consumer-grade demonstration showing live streaming of Ultra HD content, based on Harmonic's market-leading HEVC encoding technology and the XCode 6400, a 2160p60 10-bit SoC from ViXS Systems, used to decode and display live content to a UHDTV via HDMI 2.0.
- An end-to-end solution for delivering 2160p60 Ultra HD VOD content over IP networks featuring Harmonic's ProMedia(R) Xpress high-performance transcoder with HEVC support, sent by the WFS(TM) file-based workflow engine to a MediaGrid shared storage system, and streamed using the ProMedia Origin streaming video server to consumer devices in the MPEG-DASH format.
- A 2160p60 Ultra HD linear playout workflow featuring Harmonic's WFS, ProMedia Xpress, and MediaGrid solutions integrated with an Advertio transport stream playout platform from Vigor Systems, to deliver an Ultra HD linear channel.
- An Ultra HD 120-Hz broadcast workflow, powered by Harmonic ProMedia Xpress, frame-rate upconverted on Sigma Designs' high-performance and cost-effective 120-Hz UHDTV platform. Sigma Design's UHDTV platform is comprised an UHDTV SoC that enables HEVC decoding (STV7603), and an innovative motion judder removal and frame-rate conversion SoC (FRC8000) for providing the best picture quality on large screen displays.
- The first standard-compliant, live 4K Ultra HD broadcast workflow, powered by Harmonic ProMedia Xpress transcoding and decoded by Broadcom's BCM7445 Ultra HD video decoder solution.
Over the past year Harmonic has led the industry in public demonstrations of Ultra HD, providing customers with a complete solution for delivering high-quality live, linear playout, and VOD Ultra HD content in the most cost-effective and scalable manner possible. At the heart of the solution are Harmonic's WFS file-based workflow engine, ProMedia Xpress file-based transcoder, ProMedia Origin stream packager and server, and MediaGrid shared storage system. Together, they provide customers with a flexible framework for the encoding and delivery of Ultra HD content across broadcast, unicast, and multicast networks. Harmonic offers the broadest set of HD and Ultra HD solutions to enable the progressive launch of Ultra HD services, depending on the maturity of the technology, as well as the associated business model of operators.
The Ultra HD demonstrations will leverage Harmonic-produced Ultra HD content. Harmonic is making this content available, royalty-free, to other companies for their use in both testing and demonstration, on request. Additional details are available at www.harmonicinc.com/resources/videos/4k-video-clip-center.
Further information about Harmonic and the company's products is available at www.harmonicinc.com.
# # #
Harmonic (NASDAQ: HLIT) is the worldwide leader in video delivery infrastructure for emerging television and video services. The company's production-ready innovation enables content and service providers to efficiently create, prepare, and deliver differentiated services for television and new media video platforms. More information is available at www.harmonicinc.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, including statements related to the anticipated capabilities and benefits of Harmonic's MediaGrid, ProMedia(R) Origin, ProMedia(R) Xpress, and WFS(TM) products. Our expectations and beliefs regarding these products may not materialize and are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the possibility that the products do not meet some or all of their anticipated capabilities or provide some or all of their anticipated benefits, such as cost-effectiveness, scalability, flexibility, and the delivery of high-quality video.
The forward-looking statements contained in this press release are also subject to other risks and uncertainties, such as those more fully described in Harmonic's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended Dec.31, 2013, its Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and its Current Reports on Form 8-K. The forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Harmonic as of the date hereof, and Harmonic disclaims any obligation to update any forward-looking statements.
EDITOR'S NOTE - Product and company names used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Harmonic, NAB Show, Ultra HD, HEVC
Source:Digital Media Online.
All Rights Reserved