AT&T issues call for Nominations for 2015 Edition of "The Heritage Calendar"
March 04, 2014 --
RALEIGH, N.C., March 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --AT&T*-North Carolina today announced it had opened nominations of individuals to be honored in the 2015 edition of "The Heritage Calendar: Celebrating the NC African-American Experience."
The project honors men and women of all races who have contributed significantly to the lives and experiences of African-Americans in the state. In addition to monthly honorees, the calendar highlights dates of significance in North Carolina and nationally.
To nominate an individual for consideration for a future edition, please go to www.ncheritagecalendar.com/nominate. Nominations for 2015 must be received by March 31, 2014.
Honorees featured in the 2014 Edition were:
- Melvin "Skip" Alston, a civil rights and community leader from Greensboro;
- Robert Bridges, former Superintendent of Wake County Public Schools;
- The late Dr. Charlotte Hawkins Brown, founder of Palmer Memorial Institute in Sedalia;
- The late Walter Horace Carter, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist from Tabor City;
- Willie Cooper, intercollegiate athlete from Elm City;
- Clyde "Pop" Ferguson Sr. and Clyde Ferguson, Jr., musicians from Lenoir;
- Judge Shirley L. Fulton of Charlotte;
- The Joseph Holt family, civil rights pioneers from Raleigh;
- Manteo Mitchell, Olympic silver medalist from Mooresboro;
- Jane Smith Patterson, government leader and womens' rights advocate;
- Harold and Lucille Webb, educators and community activists from Raleigh;
- George Williams, coach of 33 NCAA championship teams at St. Augustine's University in Raleigh.
The Heritage Calendar is available at no cost at www.ncheritagecalendar.com. In addition, age-appropriate lesson plans, produced by a team from the NC Department of Public Instruction, is available for download.
Primary partners on The Heritage Calendar project include The News & Observer, The School of Journalism and Mass Communications at UNC-Chapel Hill, Capitol Broadcasting Company/WRAL-TV the NC Department of Public Instruction, PNC Bank, and the Raleigh Sheraton..
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates AT&T operating companies are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and internationally. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation's most reliable 4G LTE network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile Internet, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV service with the AT&T U-verse brand. The company's suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com/aboutus or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/att and YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/att.
2014 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
Copyright 2014 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved