Zambia's Chamber of Mines upbeat about country's mining future
CBM-TEC event will gather 1500 mining experts in Kitwe in April
February 20, 2014 --
The Chamber's President, Mr. Emmanuel Mutati, heads up an impressive list of speakers at the upcoming Copperbelt Mining Trade Expo and Conference or CBM-TEC in Kitwe, Zambia from 28-29 April. Some 1500 mining experts are expected to attend the event.
Zambia a key player
Mrs Dlamini says Zambia is a key player in the global mining industry and is currently ranked 7th largest copper producer in the world. She adds: "we are pleased to note that the current government is willing to engage industry and the chamber in promoting the sector and further enhance its contribution to the economic advancement of the country. The chamber and the industry have been given the fora to interact with government on various policy related issues."
Putting the Copperbelt on the map
Zambia's Chamber of Mines decided to partner with CBM-TEC because the event "carries the theme of 'Putting Zambia's Copperbelt on the map' ? local strategies for creating sustainable world-class mining operations, which tandem with the Chamber's role of promoting value addition and promotion of local entrepreneur's in the mining business."
Mrs Dlamini says the Chamber's message at CBM-TEC in Kitwe will be that "all countries in the world now, appreciate that they need new technology, technical expertise and funds from other countries for them to develop their own economies. CBM-TEC will help to create stakeholder linkages with various players in the country and abroad with a view to establishing productive partnership."
Organised in association with Electra Mining Africa, CBM-TEC consists of a professional attendance expo with free technical workshops, aimed at engineers, geologists and plant managers, and presentations plus a two-day strategic and operations-focused conference.
Confirmed speakers in the programme in Kitwe include:
* Zambia Development Agency, Zambia: Mr Mukula Makasa ? MSE Director
* Kalumbila Minerals Ltd, Zambia: Mr Garth Lapperman, Resettlement and Community Engagement Manager
* Zambia Ministry of Environment: Mr Jewette Masinja, Former Permanent Secretary
* Zambia Institute of Human Resource Management: Mr Namuchana Musiwa, Former President
* Association of Zambian Exploration Companies: Mr Nathan Chishimba, President
* Lubambe Copper Mines, Zambia: Gary Strong, GM
* Chibuluma Copper Mines, Zambia: Jackson Sikamo, GM
Main conference topics are:
* Putting Zambia's Copperbelt on the map ? local strategies for creating sustainable world-class mining operations
* Roadmap for developing the local supply chain
* Creating a sustainable mining industry ? best practices for managing the environment
* Creating optimal conditions for mining output ? the energy question
* Skilling up the Zambian mining sector ? best practices
* Infrastructure requirements to boost mining operations
* Snapshot of mining exploration and mine expansion projects
Some 80 leading names in the mining community have already confirmed as exhibitors including: Murray & Roberts Zambia, Barloworld, Specialty Emergency Services, Mintek, Verder Pumps, Oryx oil, Set Point Zambia and more!
Event dates and location:
Conference and expo: 28-29 April, 2014
Location: Mist Gardens Venue, Kitwe. Zambia
Communications manager: Annemarie Roodbol
Telephone : +27 21 700 3558
Mobile: +27 82 562 7844