ATEME and Zixi Provide Technology to Stream Live "Ultimate Fighting Championship" Events Over the Internet
High-Quality Video Streaming Supports Multiple Production Workflows Over IP Regardless of Limited Connectivity or Unpredictable Bandwidth
January 21, 2014 --
PARIS, Jan. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --ATEME, a global leader in advanced video compression solutions for the broadcast industry, today announced that, through its partnership with Zixi, LLC, the company has delivered the technology necessary to stream high-quality video over the Internet for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) events.
- The UFC's plan to produce approximately 50 six-hour live fight events across the world, results in production challenges: Many locations and venues have limited IP connectivity, making it difficult to deliver an efficient means of video distribution.
- The UFC selects best-of-breed contribution solution: UFC looked to technology partners, ATEME and Zixi, to provide a solution that utilizes Internet connectivity for the distribution of video content and new ways to support multiple production workflows over IP.
- Successful proof-of-concept results in reliable connectivity: Based on the success of the initial proof-of-concept, a small rack now travels around the globe, to every fight, to supplement global satellite feeds with video-over-IP delivery.
- Supports multiple production "cloud-based" workflows: This groundbreaking technology produces high-quality compression that allows the UFC to use any feed from its production truck and create distinct workflows to distribute video around the world. Additionally, the software has provided the UFC with the tools to develop a series of "cloud-based" workflows that include the live capture of events, statistics logging and live streaming.
- Las Vegas UFC event demonstrates highly innovative application: The first successful trial of the technology took place in Las Vegas during the George St. Pierre/Hendricks fight on November 16, 2013 and is now in continuous use for all events.
Christy King, VP technology R&D, Zuffa, LLC, said:
"We had significant challenges in delivering multiple formats of video with limited connectivity and unpredictable bandwidth. The Zixi/ATEME solution is an innovative approach that provides reliable video feeds for our staff, media partners and worldwide fans. The solution is a low-cost, high-quality video experience."
Eric Bolten, VP strategic account development at Zixi, LLC, said:
"The integration of our streaming technology into ATEME's Kyrion encoders and decoders delivers an enhanced quality of service over the 'Open Internet'. The power of combining our streaming technology with ATEME's world-class video quality is demonstrated in the successful launch by Zuffa/UFC."
ATEME is a world leading provider of HEVC / H.265, MPEG-4 / H.264 and MPEG-2 bandwidth efficient compression technology. ATEME encoding solutions are deployed widely for broadcast contribution links, distribution, multi-screen live streaming, OTT and VOD applications.More information is available at www.ateme.com.