Epson's Next-Generation Augmented Reality Smart Glasses Built to Revolutionize Gaming, Video Entertainment and More
Android-Powered Moverio BT-200 Enables Powerful Experience of Blended Physical and Digital Worlds with Transparent Display, Head Motion Tracking, Camera, and More
January 06, 2014 --
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --2014 International CES, LVCC South Hall Meeting Room S214 Epson America today announced its second-generation Moverio "smart glasses" with a combination of new features geared to transform how consumers experience games, video entertainment and the world around them.
Sporting a sleek, light design, the Epson Moverio BT-200 is a true binocular display using a miniaturized LCD-based projection lens system and optical light guide in each side of the glasses. The Moverio platform's advanced binocular optical system projects see-through overlays of digital content onto the real-world in the center of the smart glasses' field of view. Enabling a seamless blend of the physical and digital world, the Moverio BT-200 technology platform makes a new world of augmented reality applications possible for consumers as well as commercial enterprises.
The Moverio BT-200 projects a stereoscopic virtual display with a 16:9 aspect ratio and a 23-degree field of view. A 360-degree panoramic experience is possible through third-party software that takes advantage of the glasses' head-tracking features. For optimum viewing privacy, Moverio's projection system features unique light guide angles which prevent other people from viewing the projected content.
The compact Moverio BT-200 delivers an impressive list of features for augmented reality and digital entertainment experiences, including:
- Bright, transparent display with 960 x 540 pixel (qHD) resolution
- Sensors (gyroscope, accelerometer and magnetic compass) enable head-motion tracking for gaming and hands-free navigation
- A front-facing camera enables image and video capture as well as marker detection for AR apps that give users relevant information related to the real-world
- A handheld controller unit powered by Android 4.0 provides a robust open-source development environment and gives users access to a growing selection of augmented reality apps
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity offers a wireless way to enjoy streaming video content while an optional wireless mirroring adapter enables streaming of high-definition video from content source devices with HDMI connectivity such as DVD players, set-top boxes and more
- Native support of MP4 with H.264 plus AAC encoding allows high-definition video playback
- Bluetooth 3.0 support allows wireless connectivity to headsets, speakers, keyboards and other peripherals
- A MicroSDHC card slot supports up to 32GB of external memory, allowing users to view and enjoy personal content like photos, videos and music even when wireless access is unavailable
- Dolby Digital Plus produces a full-body surround sound experience to complement the rich visual experience
"The Epson Moverio BT-200 smart glasses offer consumers crystal clear video as well as access to incredible new augmented reality experiences and relevant information according to their personal interests and needs," said Atsunari Tsuda, General Manager, Visual Products Division, Epson. "Leveraging Epson's leadership in LCD projection technology and visual imaging, the Moverio BT-200's transparent display and powerful new features give users a new way of seeing the world."
"In addition, the Moverio technology platform can serve as a foundation for designing highly effective visual tools in a wide variety of commercial and vertical market applications, including training, logistics, science, medicine, security, education and more," Tsuda said. "Epson is currently working with premier organizations and development partners to bring these applications to market."
Following is a list of Moverio consumer and enterprise apps being demonstrated at the Epson SmartWare Pavilion, meeting room S214, in the Las Vegas Convention Center during 2014 International CES. These early developer applications reflect a diverse interest in Moverio BT-200 ranging from AR gaming to medical imaging to service repair.
- NAMCO BANDAI Studios Inc. A table-top virtual fighting game using augmented reality characters
- PSYCLOPS A virtual reality, first-person shooter by smart glasses app developer Sean McCracken where you have to defend your city from invading aliens
- Sky Temple A virtual reality, first-person adventure game also by Sean McCracken where you must collect gems and avoid falling thousands of feet below
- Scope AR ScopeAssist, an in-view, augmented reality assistance app to vastly simplify unfamiliar tasks. Visitors will receive immediate, friendly, voice-driven guidance in one of the most daunting tasks in the modern household...the complete connection of a 5.1 surround sound system.
- Quest-Com Shooting game using augmented reality characters
Moverio Technology Enterprise Demos
- APX Labs Multiple demonstrations running on their Skylight platform, a complete and integrated software solution for enterprise smart glasses
- CraneMorley Inc Augmented reality-based training and consumer marketing apps for the automotive industry
- Evena Medical Demonstration of the Eyes-On Glasses, a one-of-a-kind point-of-care wearable medical imaging system which enables nurses to see "through" a patient's skin to the vasculature beneath
- Metaio, Inc Multiple demonstrations running on their platform, including an augmented reality-based app to maintain and repair an air conditioner
The Moverio BT-200 smart glasses will be shipping from March 2014 with a MSRP of $699.99 through a wide range of retailers and online resellers. Interested buyers can follow the development progress, provide feedback and pre-order limited quantities of Moverio BT-200 at www.prelaunch.com/products/moverio-bt-200.
For complete Moverio BT-200 specifications and additional information, visit www.epson.com/MoverioBT200. For more information on all Epson products being showcased at CES, visit www.epson.com/smartware2014.
Epson is a global imaging and innovation leader whose product lineup ranges from inkjet printers and 3LCD projectors to sensors and other microdevices. Dedicated to exceeding the vision of its customers worldwide, Epson delivers customer value based on compact, energy-saving, and high-precision technologies in markets spanning enterprise and the home to commerce and industry.
Led by the Japan-based Seiko Epson Corporation, the Epson Group comprises more than 73,000 employees in 94 companies around the world, and is proud of its ongoing contributions to the global environment and the communities in which it operates. Epson America, Inc., based in Long Beach, Calif., is Epson's regional headquarters for the U.S., Canada, and Latin America. To learn more about Epson, please visit: www.epson.com.
Note: Specifications are subject to change without notice. EPSONis a registered trademark and Moverio is a trademark of Seiko Epson Corporation. All other product and brand names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective companies. Epson disclaims any and all rights in these marks.
SOURCE Epson America
Copyright 2013 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved