Nearly a Quarter of All TV Homes Are Watching With Cisco
Cisco Highlights Industry Leadership and Innovative, Open Solutions at IBC 2013
September 13, 2013 --
AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS -- (Marketwired) -- 09/13/13 -- IBC, September 13-17, 2013 - Stand 1.A71 -- At IBC 2013, Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) will highlight an approach to innovation in pay TV that has enabled it to gain and maintain its industry leading position. With more than 300,000,000 homes around the world watching TV with Cisco, nearly a quarter of all global TV homes are now enjoying improved viewing experiences.
Whilst 80percent of the world's homes have access to TV(1), fewer than half of them are benefiting from digital and the additional functionality that it can enable. At the other end of the spectrum, the amount of video traversing IP networks is set to reach a record 88 exabytes a month by 2017(2), with 914,100 minutes of video streamed or downloaded every second -- all with less than 50 percent of the world's population connected to the Internet.
Building on over 20 years of experience driving new services and profitable growth for pay-TV operators and the media and entertainment industry, Cisco is uniquely positioned to help the industry capture the huge opportunities being generated as every network attached device becomes video capable and consumers seek ubiquitous video access.
Whether in the cloud, network or client, Cisco is at the forefront of the industry with award winning technologies and market-leadership in software, hardware, security and an approach to innovation that is second to none.
At IBC, Cisco will demonstrate leading solutions delivered from its proven Videoscape Unity platform, utilized by over 150 leading providers worldwide. With a focus on the openness and innovation offered by Videoscape Unity, Cisco will unveil new solutions delivering greater agility, optimized services and monetization opportunities for new and existing customers.
New for IBC 2013:
- Videoscape Open UX Snowflake: Enabling service providers to launch an adaptable, premium user experience that is cloud-powered and based on HTML5.
- With Videoscape Open UX Snowflake, it's easier than ever for service providers to deliver a consistent, branded user experience across all subscriber devices.
- A single branded UX serves the entire device ecosystem, with deployment models and optimization according to the device type and evolving standards.
- Using standard web tools, service providers are able to rapidly deploy new features to the user experience, which are automatically available across all screens. Find out more here.
- Videoscape Software Solutions on RDK: Cisco's solution provides an end-to-end approach that realizes the capabilities of RDK to implement industry-leading functionality in a modular way.
- Through its services-led approach, Cisco addresses the hardware, software and integration requirements of its operator customers when deploying RDK solutions.
- At IBC, Cisco will be demonstrating a number of RDK implementations, including with 4K, Ultra HD content. Find out more here.
- Videoscape Express: Providing a foundation for digital pay-TV services in markets that are experiencing rapid growth and digitization, Videoscape Express is a pre-integrated solution that combines Cisco hardware software, security and services.
- With less than 50 percent of the world migrated to digital TV, Videoscape Express is a cost effective yet sophisticated solution for both operators seeking one-way solutions and those making the move to two-way environments.
- As Videoscape Express is based on Videoscape Unity components, operators are able to enhance the services they offer with additional elements of the Videoscape Unity portfolio.
Additional demonstration highlights:
- High Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC): Cisco will demonstrate the use of HEVC to support the distribution of 4K Ultra High Definition (HD) to an RDK based STB; and of HEVC coded, DASH encapsulated content to connected mobile devices, with full support for adaptive bit-rate streaming and multiple formats.
- Videoscape Open API Framework: Part of the Cisco Open Networking Environment, Videoscape Open APIs enable operators to easily integrate third party components and applications with the Videoscape platform. At IBC Cisco will feature a number of demonstrations based on the Open APIs featuring third-party vendor integrations.
- Videoscape Multiscreen Cloud DVR: Enables service providers to introduce next generation cloud-based services to accelerate DVR and time-shift TV penetration for rapid monetization of new subscribers, over multiple devices, and services.
- Videoscape Connected Life Solutions: On its stand, Cisco will demonstrate hardware and software solutions that enable Pay-TV operators to expand into Connected Life services, including home security, energy and lifestyle applications.
- With the convergence of voice and data over cable becoming more prevalent in Europe, Cisco is enabling the service provider industry to address the changing needs of its business. Find out more here.
- Digital Rights Management (DRM) continues to be a hot topic for the entertainment industry -- but what do you need to know when selecting a DRM provider? Find out here.
- Flexible TV viewing is no longer a luxury, but a requirement from a subscriber perspective. But what does a move to the cloud mean for digital video recording and the associated business models? Find out more here.
Yves Padrines, VP, Service Provider Video, Cisco
A Cloudy Future for the Set-Top Box?
Saturday, 14 September 2013, 15:30 - 17:00
Natalie Lahoux, Studio R&D Manager, Cisco
Smart Viewer Interfaces
Friday, 13 September 2013, 15:30 - 17:00
Kevin Murray, Systems Architect, Service Provider Video Software, Cisco
Personalized TV & the Cloud - Produced in Association with ETSI
Saturday, 14 September 2013, 7:45 - 9:00
- About Cisco Videoscape: http://www.cisco.com/go/videoscape
- Cisco Service Provider blog: SP360: http://blogs.cisco.com/sp
- Follow Cisco IBC news and activities on Twitter: #CiscoIBC and #Videoscape
Cisco, HTML5, HEVC, 4K, Ultra HD, RDK, cloud, cloud-DVR, service provider, video, Videoscape, IBC, Openness, Software
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
Cisco Press Contact
+44 20 8476 8243
Industry Analyst Relations
+1 847 678-7604
+65 6317 7241
Copyright @ Marketwire