Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise to address the network application challenge with new access switch, added analytics and SDN capabilities
Enhancements to the Unified Access wired and wireless portfolio and network management system provide more visibility and control of applications traversing the network
April 01, 2014 --
LAS VEGAS, April 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --Interop 2014 --The Enterprise division of Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) is today unveiling new technology to address the challenges created by pervasive mobility and the explosion of new applications being introduced within enterprises.
As part of its Unified Access approach for both wired and wireless networks, Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise is to introduce an innovative access switch and additional network capabilities, giving IT departments more visibility and control of the network, while employees and customers gain flexibility to use the applications they need.
Fueled by the growth of cloud application and by the 'BYOD' phenomenon, the number and type of applications used in enterprises is growing, requiring IT teams to be armed with new tools and capabilities that ensure business goals are met and the network remains secure.
Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise is adding deep packet inspection at the wired and wireless access layer expanding its Application Fluent Network capabilities. It can now consolidate this information with network analytics tools that help IT teams gain improved visibility into the applications, and also create policies and enforce them at the edge of the network to secure and optimize delivery of applications to employees and customers.
Additionally, Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise helps businesses create more agile networks needed to deploy applications, now that its entire portfolio has Software Defined Networking (SDN) capabilities. Its end-to-end SDN architecture is completed in this launch with the support of SDN interfaces reaching across the access, to the core and into the data center, providing customers investment protection and enabling interoperability with third-party solutions. The SDN capabilities include REST API's, OpenFlow 1.0/1.3 and the ability to leverage OpenStack plug-ins for full orchestration across the entire network.
The new OmniSwitch 6860 (OS6860) family, with embedded analytics and programmability is one of the industry's most advanced gigabit access switches. Highlights include:
- An innovative ASIC and coprocessor providing wire-rate deep packet inspection (DPI) and policy enforcement right at the edge of the network. IT has more visibility of applications being used, how much bandwidth is consumed, and the immediate ability to enforce policies to control prioritization, QoS and security.
- SDN-enabled with the support of OpenFlow and OpenStack.
- OmniSwitch 6860 models also support four unique 1G PoE ports that offer up to 60W Power over Ethernet (PoE) to support next generation devices that require high power, such as small cells that combine cellular and Wi-Fi, and high definition video surveillance cameras.
- The OmniSwitch 6860 is also data center and IT friendly: All ports are in the front, with front-to-back cooling and an innovative Bluetooth management connection so smart devices can be used to manage the switch. In addition, itcan be used in the data center as a 1GbE top-of-rack switch.
Building on its Unified Access approach, Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise makes every network service offered consistently available on the wired and wireless network. The enhancements include:
- DPI capability of up to 1500 applications and programmability support on Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise OmniAccess WLAN controllers.
- New OmniAccess Access Points to better address the growing adoption of Gigabit wireless (802.11ac) and the diverse deployment needs with outdoor AP, low cost APs and Instant APs.
- The Aruba Networks' AirGroup service enhancements to support Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) devices. Customers can use consumer devices for screen-sharing and media-streaming in the corporate network not only from Apple but also from manufacturers like Sony, Microsoft, Hewlett-Packard, Samsung, etc. AirGroup enables end users and IT administrators to self-register devices and define who can access them. In the higher education environment, students can register their printers, TVs, games consoles, and other consumer devices, and set access limits for select friends' use, all without IT involvement.
OmniVista 2500 Network Management System
OmniVista is redesigned to better support network analytics and provide the foundation for future consumption models as more enterprises move toward cloud-based services. The new OmniVista 2500 provides:
- Multi-tenancy and a distributed architecture for resilience, scalability, and future cloud-based service offers.
- Open northbound/southbound APIs for future interoperability in a SDN architecture.
- New Web-based user interface allows IT to access the NMS from any device such as tablets and smartphones, anywhere.
- Unified policy engine and cohesive visibility of both wired and wireless networks simplifies IT operations.
- Centralized network analytics for wired and wireless provides IT a comprehensive view of the users, devices and applications in the network and enables them to apply the appropriate policies to the network devices.
All the new capabilities are on demonstration at Interop booth 827.
Scott Hughes, CIO, Moravian College
"Moravian College believes that Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise's Unified Access solution will allow the safe, secure and reliable transport of student and teacher data across wired and wireless networks as we transform to an 'all MacBook Pro' campus by 2014."
Peter Cellarius, Business and Corporate Development, Aruba Networks
"The alignment of capabilities between Aruba and Alcatel-Lucent shows strong collaboration and synchronized strategy as we work together to meet the needs of a new generation of mobile users and ease the resulting challenges of IT administrators."
Rohit Mehra, Vice President Network Infrastructure, IDC
"As enterprise IT evangelizes on getting more operational efficiency from their campus network infrastructure deployments, a unified view of wired and wireless network access provides an interesting value proposition, especially when it comes to application discovery, visibility and analytics. Aligned with one of IDC's predictions for 2014, Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise's approach of enabling wired and wireless access via SDN and increased programmability will lead to an improved application and user experience that IT will want to leverage."
About Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU)
We are at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, and to enterprises and institutions throughout the world. Underpinning us in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of the Group and one of the world's foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Our innovations have resulted in our Group being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012's Top 50 "World's Most Innovative Companies". We have also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being named Industry Group Leader in the Technology Hardware & Equipment sector in the 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices review, for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the Group's mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2013, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.
SOURCE Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise
Copyright 2014 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved