2013/2014 Canadian Television Report Card: Top 30 Most-Watched Programs of the Season Revealed
June 02, 2014 --
- CTV is Canada's #1 network with total viewers and in the key A25-54 demo for the 13th year in a row -
- CTV delivers four of Canada's Top 5 new programs -
- CTV has more Top 10, 20, and 30 programs than all other networks combined -
- CTV sees three original Canadian series rank in the Top 30 with MASTERCHEF CANADA, SAVING HOPE, and MOTIVE -
- CTV gains momentum with growth in primetime over next closest competitor -
To tweet this release: http://bit.ly/1hrrZ7Z
TORONTO, June 2, 2014 /CNW/ - As Upfront Week begins, CTV revealed today the Top 30 most-watched programs of the season, led for the fourth year in a row by THE BIG BANG THEORY with an average audience of 3.5 million viewers. With the core September 2013 - May 2014 television season now at a close, BBM Canada data confirms CTV delivered more Top 10, Top 20, and Top 30 programs than all other networks combined for total viewers, A25-54, and A18-49, including four of the Top 5 most-watched programs in the country among all key demos. The data reveals CTV is the most-watched Canadian television network among total viewers and A25-54 for a record 13 consecutive years, and has once again grown its lead in primetime against its next closest competitor.
As previously announced, CTV's MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. is the #1 new series of the year in Canada with an average audience of 2 million viewers, and becomes the first freshman series in a decade to land in the Top 5 list of the most-watched programs of the season among all key demos. CTV has now delivered the top new program of the season for the past four years in a row, and in eight of the past 10 years.
As also previously announced, MASTERCHEF CANADA is the most-watched Canadian series in the country, and becomes the first and only homegrown series in more than a decade to land in the Top 10 list for A25-54 and A18-49.
A look at the 2013-14 Canadian Television Season Report Card:
Canada's Top 5 New Programs, 2013-14
- CTV delivered four of the Top 5 new series with total viewers and in the key A18-49 and A25-54 demos.
- MARVEL's AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. is Canada's #1 new series and is the most-watched drama series among key demos.
- MASTERCHEF CANADA is the #1 new reality series and #1 new Canadian series.
|1.||MARVEL's AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (CTV)||1.||MARVEL's AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (CTV)||1.||MARVEL's AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (CTV)|
|2.||THE BLACKLIST (Global)||2.||MASTERCHEF CANADA (CTV)||2.||MASTERCHEF CANADA (CTV)|
|3.||MASTERCHEF CANADA (CTV)||3.||THE BLACKLIST (Global)||3.||THE BLACKLIST (Global)|
|4.||INTELLIGENCE (CTV)||4.||MASTERCHEF JUNIOR (CTV)||4.||MASTERCHEF JUNIOR (CTV)|
|5.||MASTERCHEF JUNIOR (CTV)||5.||INTELLIGENCE (CTV)||5.||INTELLIGENCE (CTV)|
Canada's Top 30 Most-Watched Programs, 2013-2014
- CTV has more Top 10, Top 20, and Top 30 programs than all other networks combined.
- CTV has four of the Top 5 programs among all key adult demos.
- CTV has increased its number of Top 10 programs by two among A25-54.
- CTV is home to the Top 2 comedies with THE BIG BANG THEORY and TWO AND A HALF MEN among total viewers.
- CTV has both the #1 reality series with THE AMAZING RACE and the #1 new reality series MASTERCHEF CANADA.
- CTV has the #1 returning drama with GREY'S ANATOMY and the #1 new drama MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. among all key demos.
- MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D is the first new program in a decade to rank among the Top 5 most-watched programs of the season (September-May) among all key demos.
- CTV is the only network with Canadian (non-sports) programs in the Top 30, led by the #1 Canadian series MASTERCHEF CANADA and also including original series SAVING HOPE and MOTIVE.
- MASTERCHEF CANADA is the first Canadian series in more than a decade to rank among the Top 10 most-watched programs of the season (September - May) among A25-54 and A18-49.
|1||THE BIG BANG THEORY (CTV)||3.55 million||THE BIG BANG THEORY (CTV)||1.76 million|
|2||NCIS (Global)||2.56 million||THE AMAZING RACE 23 & 24 (CTV)||1.17 million|
|3||THE AMAZING RACE 23 & 24 (CTV)||2.46 million||SURVIVOR: BLOOD VS. WATER & BRAWN VS. BRAINS (Global)||1.15 million|
|4||SURVIVOR: BLOOD VS. WATER & BRAWN VS. BRAINS (Global)||2.28 million||MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (CTV)||1.07 million|
|5||NCIS: LOS ANGELES (Global)||2.27 million||GREY'S ANATOMY (CTV)||1.05 million|
|6||GREY'S ANATOMY (CTV)||2.26 million||CRIMINAL MINDS (CTV)||903,000|
|7||C.S.I. (CTV)||2.15 million||HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA (EAST) (CBC)||892,000|
|8||CRIMINAL MINDS (CTV)||2.12 million||MASTERCHEF CANADA (CTV)||861,000|
|9||MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (CTV)||2.024 million||NCIS (Global)||858,000|
|10||HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA (EAST) (CBC)||2.015 million||C.S.I. (CTV)||820,000|
|11||THE BLACKLIST (Global)||1.87 million||THE BLACKLIST (Global)||807,000|
|12||THE MENTALIST (CTV)||1.83 million||HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER (City)||792,000|
|13||BONES (Global)||1.81 million||NCIS: LOS ANGELES (Global)||783,000|
|14||MASTERCHEF CANADA (CTV)||1.78 million||TWO AND A HALF MEN (CTV)||779,000|
|15||INTELLIGENCE (CTV)||1.77 million||THE VOICE (CTV)||764,000|
|16||CTV EVENING NEWS (CTV)||1.72 million||MASTERCHEF JUNIOR (CTV)||753,000|
|17||BLUE BLOODS (CTV)||1.71 million||GAME OF THRONES (HBO Canada)||748,000|
|18||HAWAII FIVE-O (Global)||1.68 million||BONES (Global)||745,000|
|19||TWO AND A HALF MEN (CTV)||1.66 million||INTELLIGENCE (CTV)||741,000|
|20||PERSON OF INTEREST (CTV)||1.64 million||2 BROKE GIRLS (City)||726,000|
|21||CASTLE (CTV)||1.62 million||THE MENTALIST (CTV)||708,000|
|22||MASTERCHEF JUNIOR (CTV)||1.604 million||ARROW (CTV)||684,000|
|23||THE VOICE (CTV)||1.599 million||SAVING HOPE (CTV)||667,000|
|24||SAVING HOPE (CTV)||1.58 million||HAWAII FIVE-O (Global)||665,000|
|25||ELEMENTARY (Global)||1.54 million||ELEMENTARY (Global)||665,000|
|26||ARROW (CTV)||1.47 million||SLEEPY HOLLOW (Global)||630,000|
|27||BELIEVE (CTV)||1.35 million||THE FOLLOWING (CTV)||622,000|
|28||CHICAGO FIRE (Global)||1.34 million||PERSON OF INTEREST (CTV)||612,000|
|29||MOTIVE (CTV)||1.299 million||CASTLE (CTV)||611,000|
|30||HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER (City)||1.297 million||ALMOST HUMAN (Global)||601,000|
CTV's Growth in Primetime (7-11 p.m.)
- CTV continues to gain momentum by increasing its lead in primetime over its next closest competitor among key demos.
|CTV vs. Global|
CTV is Canada's #1 private broadcaster. Featuring a wide range of quality news, sports, information, and entertainment programming, CTV has been Canada's most-watched television network for the past 13 years in a row. CTV is a division of Bell Media, Canada's premier multimedia company with leading assets in television, radio, digital, and Out-of-Home. Bell Media is owned by BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada's largest communications company. More information about CTV can be found on the network's website at CTV.ca.
Source: BBM Canada, Sept 23, 2013 - May 18, 2014 (Weeks 5-38, final data) vs. equivalent weeks in previous years. Audiences prior to August 31, 2009 are based on BBM Nielsen Media Research Mark II meters.
Copyright 2014 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved